52 Question and Answer about Dog Breeds
1. I’m planning to bring my dog with me when I vacation this September in Italy. Do airlines accommodate all dog breeds or certain breeds only?
Airlines have specific requirements as to the breeds of dogs they allow on their planes. Most do not allow pug-nosed dogs such as the spaniels in the cargo area particularly during the summer season as they’re prone to heat shock and suffocation. Large breeds need to be placed in the cargo area because of their size while the smaller breeds can be placed in the cabin section just below the seat in front of you. Aggressive or highly agitated dogs are also not allowed on flights.
2. My girlfriend happens to be fond of small dog breeds. I’m thinking about giving her a new one this Christmas. Just curious about what’s the smallest dog breed?
There’s no one smallest breed for dogs as there are actually several of them. The top 10 that weigh around 12 pounds or less and measure from 6-12 inches include the Affenpinscher (7-9 lbs), Bichon Frise, Chihuahua (less than 6 lbs), Chinese Crested (10-13 lbs), Papillon (5-10 lbs), Pomeranian (4.2-7.7 lbs), Toy Poodle, Toy Fox Terrier (3.5-9 lbs), Yorkshire Terrier (less than 7 lbs) and Japanese Chin (4-20 lbs). These small dogs, however, need extra care as they can easily get hurt when mishandled.
3. My two boys have been asking us for a dog they can play with in the house. Which dog breed do you think is ideal for children?
There are certain dog breeds best for kids. They’re not necessarily the large size canines but the moderate size ones that can be trained well to keep kids company whether at home or outdoors. These include the Golden Retriever which is a loyal, patient and very loving pet, Greyhound which is a gentle and sweet dog, Labrador Retriever which is friendly, intelligent and ideal for all ages, Newfoundland which is calm and friendly and the Saint Bernard which is very gentle and playful with kids.
4. My teenage boy is hinting that he’d like to raise a Rottweiler in the house. Is it easy to raise this kind of dog breed?
A Rottweiler is ideal for families. This breed is powerful in protecting his owner and their home. It is a faithful, calm, courageous, protective and friendly dog that can stay with you for up to 8 to 12 years. With patience, you can train this dog in obedience so it can behave well in the house as well as in public. Being a dog owner, however, you need to learn about your dog breed. Rottweilers need attention, love and exercise being a large breed.
5. I’m a dog lover with 5 canines at home. I prefer the large size dogs, though. What’s the largest breed around?
The biggest dog breed normally refers to the size of canine and the winner in this aspect is the English Mastiff. This breed is considered the biggest owing to their heavy weight at more than 200 pounds. Today, the biggest is Zorka from the U.K. who weights 343 pounds and measures 8 feet long from nose to tail. Other large size dogs include the Great Dane, Saint Bernard, Newfoundland, Neopolitan Mastiff and the Irish Wolfhound.
6. My Aunt just had a stroke and kind of feels depressed. I’d like to give her a dog that can help in her therapy. Do you know what breed is helpful for this purpose?
There are many dog breeds used for therapy. They are used in hospitals, hospices and care homes to help provide comfort and relief to the elderly and sick people. Breeds that are friendly such as the retrievers make for good therapy dogs. However, it’s not the size and breed that actually matter. The dog’s temperament is the most important consideration as he or she will have to deal with different types of people and go to new places.
7. I’d like to give my niece a terrier for her birthday but many say this breed is not good for kids to play with. Why is that so?
The terrier is a small dog breed that has many types. Originally from Britain, this breed is very active and fears no one not even the bigger dogs. They may not be good for kids as they’re prone to spine and back problems when mishandled. As they have fragile bones, terriers are not ideal for rough playing with small kids such as those that involve jumping and throwing up and down. They can easily break their bones hence, they need extra care by their owners.
8. My family is planning to breed our female dog? Can you give us tips on how we can do this and where we can get the partner?
You can arrange with a breeder or a friend who has a dam. Make sure that you have both your dogs checked first for any illness or parasites. When you’re given a clean bill of health by your vet, wait for your bitch to be in heat then arrange for the dam to be brought to your home. You can observe just from afar so the dogs can be comfortable with each other. Leave them together for 2 to 3 days before separating them. Continue to feed your dog with the right food as she goes through her pregnancy.
9. What tips can you give about adopting a dog from the shelter? Is it mainly about personal preference or depending on the dog breed or the dog’s condition?
Before you even visit the shelter, determine first what kind and size of dog you want to have. If you’re going to get the dog for your kids, make sure you discuss this with them so they can make specific suggestions. You can then contact the shelter to know their procedures after which you can pay them a visit. Before you pick one to adopt, be sure to walk through the shelter several times to determine which one really fits your needs. Then get more information about your chosen dog from an employee.
10. I’d love to train a dog to do a lot of tricks from the simple to the more complex ones. What breed should I get and at what age should I start the training?
The truth is, any breed of dog can be trained to learn your commands. If you’re not the very patient type, though, you can choose the highly active and energetic dog. Temperament is important. If you want a dog that can follow your commands, you can also go for the intelligent breeds such as the retrievers. They’re not only friendly but can also be easily taught to do tricks. Indeed there are dogs that learn faster than the others and respond quickly to your trainings after several sessions only.
11. I’m just curious about these toys for dogs. Does a particular dog breed require a certain toy or these items can be used by any kind of dog?
All dog breeds require toys. These toys are not just called extras because they are dog’s essentials. These items keep the canines entertained inside the home and can be used for training purposes as well. Additionally, toys allow dogs to chew which can relieve their boredom and stress. Strong and aggressive dogs need to have durable toys of top quality so they don’t easily get damaged. Edible chews are also recommended by the experts.
12. My Dalmatian has just died and I’d like to get a new dog for myself. What’s a nice breed to get that is well behaved and intelligent?
There are many dog breeds you can choose from if you’re looking for a calm and intelligent one. If you don’t mind the size, the Mastiff is a calm and very gentle dog. In fact, it serves as a great protector of kids when adults are not around in the house. The Basset Hound is an extremely calm and gentle breed good for families with children. Also, the Labrador Retriever is the most popular family dog because of its very friendly and loving nature.
13. Some people say bulldogs may look tough and gruff but are actually sweet and gentle. Can you enlighten me on its behavior as I’m interested to raise this breed?
Contrary to its appearance, a Bulldog can be a good family pet. If you don’t want much playing around in your home, this dog is ideal as it’s very gentle and not hyperactive. As puppies, they can get very playful but they become calm and composed as they reach their adulthood. While an adult Bulldog can be a bit lazy, it is very affectionate and loyal to its owners and needs to be given attention as well. This breed is also effective in protecting its owners from intruders.
14. My family has been without a dog for years now but I’d like to gift my parents with a new one. Which breed is best for the family?
Make sure you know your family’s condition such as if somebody has allergies and if you don’t want much dog hair shedding taking place in your home. Find out what type of dog personality you would like to have as well. Do you want a playful dog or a calm one? The most popular family dog has always been the Labrador Retriever. This is a very gentle and intelligent dog that is not only great with adults but even with kids.
15. Which is the better breed between the Chow Chow and Shih Tzu? I’m having second thoughts on which one to choose for my sister. Please help.
The Chow Chow breed has an attitude of a cat – aloof, reserved but independent and affectionate. It is intelligent but does not really like to please their masters. It has a somewhat serious disposition but can be protective of its owners. The Shih Tzu, on the other hand, has a more pleasing appearance that makes it lovable. It also has a friendly and quiet disposition. It is also playful and can serve as a good watch dog in the house.
16. My best friend has a Pit Bull and she’s celebrating her birthday soon. I’d like to know what toys are fit for this breed of dog?
There are many toys that pit bills can play with. But being the strong dog that they are, you need to buy the quality and durable ones. The best toy for them is the stuffed kong. Others you can give are the hard plastic balls, Nylabone dental chews, the bone, ligament chews and of course, the real bones. The beef knuckles are best if you want to give your pit bull a real bone and make sure it’s raw and not cooked.
17. Can a pit bull be a good watch dog? I’ve heard stories that they’re not so I’d like to get your view on this as I’m planning to get one.
This dog breed is people friendly. In short, it loves to meet and be with people. It can get along well with all types of people the reason why it won’t make for a good guard dog. Their being very friendly makes them not an ideal dog to protect a house against strangers. In the house, they also tend to be very soft with their owners as they often want to please them. As such, it can be a loyal and loving member of your family.
18. I live in an apartment just enough for three people. We’d like to get a dog, though, but don’t know which is ideal for us. Can you help me?
A small dog breed is good for people living in apartments as they don’t take up much space. It can be a Terrier, Pomeranian or Chihuahua. You can choose one with a less aggressive behavior instead of the high energy breed. If you want to get an energetic dog, make sure you bring it out for exercise regularly. Do understand that despite their small size, they need regular exercise such as walking and running apart from their play activity at home.
19. I have a toy dog specifically a Yorkshire Terrier. Does this breed of dog still need exercise even though it’s small? Please enlighten me on this.
A small and playful dog still needs to get his share of regular exercise. It’s not safe to assume that just because they often run around your home, they’re already getting enough exercise. As the owner, you still need to bring out them regularly for their walks or jogs. An exercise should be an activity that can drain both the physical and mental energy of canines. Simple playing is not enough to achieve the goal of an exercise.
20. I’d like to have a dog in the house that does not take much of my time to groom. What dog breeds require less maintenance?
If you’re a busy person, a low maintenance and low energy dog is right for you. A Greyhound, for instance, doesn’t need much exercise and has short hair that’s easy to maintain. It’s also a gentle and quiet dog. The boxer is another one. It has short hair and is an intelligent family dog. If you want a smaller dog, the Boston Terrier is ideal. This is a loyal dog that can protect your family and with short hair as well that need minimal grooming.
21. My family loves dogs but my mom is allergic to dander. What dog breed can I get that does not shed too much dead skin flakes?
Most dogs shed dander. It is a normal process that dogs go through. The amount of shedding, however, varies among dogs. So if this is problem, you need to get a dog that does not have double coat and therefore, sheds less dander. Popular breeds that shed less and you can choose from are the different types of terrier, maltese, Chinese crested which is hairless, greyhound, shih tzu, the standard poodle and pinscher among others.
22. I constantly travel to other places because of my work. I’d like to get a dog that can serve as a guard dog. Which breed is best as a watchdog?
Dogs that have a strong personality can make good watchdogs. They should be able to bark at strangers and won’t hesitate to bite them when possible. Among the popular breeds of guard dogs are the German Shepherd, Schnauzer, Rottweiler, Doberman Pinscher and the Bullmastiff which has a strong protective instinct. The mastiff won’t only bite but will even knock intruders to the ground while the Doberman will also attack strangers who threaten its owner. The Rottweiler can be very loving but is also very protective of its owners.
23. I’m interested to get a Bichon Frise for my nephew but don’t know his personality. Is this a good and easy breed to have in the house with kids?
People who love small dogs will like the Bichon Frise. This is a popular pet because of its small size and lovable appearance. Kids will love it because of its charming, cheerful and playful disposition. Other traits that make it lovable are its being affectionate, intelligent and sociable. This dog loves to go with his owner wherever they go. In addition, this breed gets along well with both children and other animals so it’s a good companion at home.
24. I’ve heard from my best friend about the Border Collie being a smart dog. How smart is this breed and what tricks is it capable of doing?
There are many smart dogs around and the Border Collie is just one of them. This breed is a great companion animal and is actually a herding dog breed. Its well known characteristics are its being energetic and athletic. It is often involved in dog sports and as of January 2011, it is reported to have learned some 1,022 words and acts. Being an energetic and intelligent breed, it requires much exercise and mental stimulation.
25. My dad hates dogs with fleas. I’d like to know then what dog breed is not prone to ticks and fleas. Or is it that all dogs are prone to fleas?
All dogs are susceptible to fleas specifically the cat flea. But they thrive more in warm and humid environments particularly at temperatures that range from 65 to 80 degrees which means that if you’re located in a colder region, you have a greater chance of not being bothered much by this problem. Dogs that live outdoors are also vulnerable to fleas. So just make sure that you regularly groom your dog and use an anti-flea shampoo to get rid of these tiny pests.
26. I’ve heard a lot about poodle mixed breeds and I’m interested to know if they’re worth getting as a pet. What are the popular mixed breeds of poodle?
Mixed breeds are special and unique. With poodles, you can benefit from its intelligence and the fact that it does not shed. Poodle mixes are very popular these days and they’re referred to as designer dogs. You can always let it participate in dog shows if you want to show off your pet’s uniqueness. Basically, a poodle can be mixed with any dog breed. What matters is you know how to take care of them and feed them so they are healthy all the time.
27. I’ve always loved the look of an American Eskimo. But before I get one, I’d like to gather more information about this breed most especially its personality. Is this a good pet for a couple?
The American Eskimo is also known as a German Spitz or simply Spitz. It comes in different sizes but typically, it’s a small to medium sized dog. This canine can be a very good companion because it is not only intelligent but alert, loyal and very loving as well. They can live well in apartments or traditional homes so long as they get their regular exercise. For a couple, this dog can be an ideal pet and guard dog at the same time.
28. Why are some dogs called toy dogs? Is it primarily because of their small size? What are the popular toy breeds and the most ideal for families?
Yes, a toy dog refers to a small canine belonging to very small breeds. These normally include the terriers, pinschers and spaniels and may refer to the small sized hunting or working dogs that were intentionally bred down in size. The most popular is the Yorkshire Terrier but there are many others you can choose from depending on your preference. If you don’t like hairy dogs, the Chihuahua is best but if you prefer the long and hairy toy breed, you can choose from the Pomeranian, Shih Tzu and Maltese.
29. Which dog breed shed less hair? I’m very particular about the hair because of my allergies. But I’d love to have a pet dog in my home that can keep me company in my apartment. What would you suggest?
As you’re living in an apartment, you would need a low maintenance type of dog and a less hairy one is ideal for you. The Italian Greyhound is good for you as it requires less maintenance, is odorless and experiences less shedding than the other breeds. The Chihuahua is another dog you can get as it needs minimal grooming and exercise. A toy poodle is also great for people with allergies because of its intelligence and requires less maintenance.
30. I’m looking for an effective watchdog for my home. I don’t need a large dog, however, as I prefer the small sized ones. Can you suggest a particular small dog breed that can make a great guard dog?
You can get a Yorkshire Terrier. Despite its small size (in fact it’s considered a toy dog breed), you can be sure that this dog will watch over your home while you’re away. An advantage as well as it does not require much exercise compared to the other breeds. A Yorkshire Terrier or Yorkie has a barking instinct but is a loyal friend. Because of its alertness, it makes for a vigilant watchdog so this dog breed is ideal for you.
31. I’m just curious, is there a dog that has other colors other than the usual white, black, grey, brown or tan? I’d like to get one if there’s any colorful dog.
There many you can choose from that boast of natural colors. The Cavalier King Charles Spaniels is a famous and small sized dog in the U.K. that has three colors. The African Wild Dog is another one and known as the painted hunting dog. Others you can get are the Brittany, Border Collie, Australian Cattle Dog, Borzoi, Yorkshire Terrier, Serbian Tricolor Hound, the Shetland Sheepdog, Pharoah Hound, Airedale and WelshTerrier and the Anglo-Francais de Petite Venerie.
32. What’s the best sporting dog? I’d like to get one that can go with me whenever I go out to do my favorite sports activities and play with me, too. I haven’t had a dog before so looking for a good one.
The top sporting dog breeds are normally the hunting dogs. It’s their nature to hunt and as such, they’re active and alert and make great companions. Popular breeds in this category are the pointers, retrievers, setters and spaniels and most of them come in different types. These dog breeds can actively take part in field activities whether in water and in the woods. You must understand, however, that these breeds require adequate exercise and on a regular basis.
33. Is a bulldog a great companion in the house? I want to give my cousin a gift for her birthday but she said she does not want a dog that takes a lot of effort to care for and maintain.
A bulldog, being a non-sporting dog, does not require much exercise. They’re active when young but slow down as they get older. In the house, it can just sit there but you need to give it the necessary attention to keep it happy all the time. Its appearance may not that be adorable but you can be sure that this dog will keep strangers off your home and will remain gentle and loving with your family including the children.
34. What breed of dog does not require much food and exercise? I’m not really the hands-on type of owner but I love having a dog around the house.
All dogs need exercise but there are certain dog breeds that require less exercise (low energy level) than the others. These are the affenpinscher, bichon fries, bulldog, boston terrier, Chihuahua, cockapoo, dachshund, English toy spaniel, Italian greyhound, maltese, Pomeranian and Pekingese and other small sized breeds. Additionally, these small toy dogs are best if you’re looking for one that does not consume much food. Owing to their small size, they don’t require much food on a daily basis.
35. Which dog breed likes jumping and doing tricks? I’d like to train a dog just for my enjoyment and not necessarily for commercial purposes. I just would like to test my skills.
While dogs can engage in jumping and other activities that test their agility, there are certain breeds that excel in this area because of their distinct traits. They are not only active but can easily be trained to do tricks as well. The Shetland sheepdog is one of them. It’s an intelligent and friendly dog that does well in agility and herding activities. Other breeds include border collie, Australian and Pyrenean shepherd and Australian cattle dog. The Maltese is also a great dog to teach fun tricks but you have to start early.
36. Is there a dog that’s easy to breed? I would want to get one for myself and then breed it later, maybe once or twice, not really for commercial purposes. I just want to add more dogs to my family.
There’s no particular dog type that’s easy to breed. You have to know that breeding dogs can be expensive and if you want a dog similar to what you already have, it’s not guaranteed that you will get exactly the same type. Remember that half of its genes will come from another dog. Also, it’s a misconception that every female dog should have puppies in their lifetime and it’s not even guaranteed that having puppies will make her healthy moving forward.
37. I’d like to adopt a pet dog from a shelter. Can you give me tips on how to choose a dog breed that will best suit me?
Animal shelters have all types of pets and they’re not necessarily the so-called rejects or those that have health or behavior problems. Depending on what dog breed you like, you can find it there. Otherwise, you can approach a shelter that accommodates specific breeds if you’re very particular. Adopting a dog from a shelter is less expensive than buying from a regular pet store and you can even be sure they’re cared for properly. A great benefit is you get support and guidance from the staff on how to care for your new pet.
38. Are there dog shelter associations that accommodate a certain type of breed? How can I adopt a dog from them if I want to? Is it open to anybody?
Yes, there are groups that keep specific dog breeds. You just need to research on it on the internet or yellow pages if there’s one in your area. Also, determine your needs, the size of your home, yard and consider if you have children and other pets in the house. Remember, it is you who will care for the dog so make sure you know your situation and your financial capability. If you’re decided, just visit the shelter and fill out their forms and the staff will assist with finding the right dog for you.
39. I’m particularly interested in getting a Siberian Husky breed of dog. With its large size, is it not hard to maintain moving forward and is it friendly with families with kids?
Huskies are active and energetic and don’t require much maintenance. They are easy to train and eat less than the other breeds of the same size. This means you won’t have to spend much for it. Originally used as sled dogs, this breed has become a family pet and show dog. It’s also a social dog and therefore requires his family near him if no other dog is available in the house. This breed can stay with you for up to 15 years.
40. What’s unique about the German Shepherd? I’m thinking about getting a good guard dog and based on my survey among friends, this breed is always a top choice.
The German Shepherd is a working dog originally used for herding and guarding sheep. It therefore makes for a great guard dog owing to its strength and intelligence. This breed is the third most intelligent and among the top five popular dogs in the U.S. With its loyal and protective nature, you can be sure to live peacefully in your home without being threatened by thieves. They won’t hesitate to bite or kill people who are threats to their owners.
41. What’s a maltipoo? Is this a mixed breed? I’m just curious because I’ve heard about this from a friend who strongly recommends it to me being a cute and small dog.
A Maltipoo is a combination of the Maltese and Toy or Miniature Poodle breeds. It’s a small and fun-loving dog that can be a great companion in any type of home. It’s ideal for an elderly single or a family with kids. It’s also a therapy dog and since it is a non-shedder breed, it’s perfect for people with allergies. Remember, though, that this dog also needs his regular walks and plays to keep him happy in your home.
42. Is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel a mixed breed? How did this breed evolve? I’ve seen this dog from a friend and I was surprised to learn about its name.
The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel is a cross between the Pug and the King Charles Spaniel and is considered a toy dog. Named after King Charles II, this breed originated in the late 1600s and features long, silky coat, large eyes and a nose flatter than its predecessors. Although not very active, this dog can get along very well with people and other animals. If possible, don’t leave this alone in the house all day unless you let it go for its walk first. That way, you put him in a rest mode while he stays in the house.
43. Where did the Akita breed come from? What colors are available for this breed and can this be a good canine for a family? I’d like to know more about its personality.
The original Akita breed is from Japan but the Americans now have their own version known as Akita Inu which is distinct from the Japanese one. This is a large and muscled dog with strong shoulders. It’s an intelligent and fearless dog but very loving to its family. To make yourself known as its leader, it’s important that you train this dog early on while it’s still a puppy. In terms of guarding its owner and the house, the Akita is also very effective.
44. What’s the most distinct trait of a Foxhound? Does it require much maintenance? I like its look but would like to know first if this can be a good pet.
The Foxhound is a hunting dog bred to hunt foxes just by their scent. It looks similar to the Beagle but is larger in size and taller. This breed can be a good pet as it gets along well with children and other animals. However, they require adequate exercise and training. Being an energetic dog, a great exercise you can do is a long walk coupled with a game of fetch. Healthwise, the Foxhound is not prone to genetic disorders but overfeeding can lead to an overweight problem.
45. Is there a particular breed of dog that loves water a lot? I’m a swimmer and often goes to lakes and beaches whenever I can either with my family or friends so I’d like to have a dog that I can take with me and swim with me.
There are some dogs that love to take a dip in water and even salivate at the sight of a pool. Some of these breed are the Labrador and Golden retriever, Portugese water dog, Irish water spaniel, Newfoundland, Poodle, Cocker Spaniel, Chesapeake bay retriever and the Nova Scotia duck tolling retriever. The Labrador retriever is the most popular dog today and their love for water stemmed from the fact that they were bred to be hunters of waterfowl.
46. What’s different about the Australian terrier than the American version? Is this dog available only in Australia and what was its main role in the past before it became a pet?
This is a small sized dog with short legs bred in Tasmania, Australia in 1820 although originally brought from Great Britain. Originally known as the rough coated terrier, this dog is alert and can be aggressive but has an above average intelligence making it trainable. Owners must exercise care as the Australian terrier can be a bit bossy and may not get along well with another dog in the house. This breed makes for a good companion as it loves to be with people and interacting with them.
47. Where did the bearded Collie originate and what is its main role? I’ve seen this before in magazines and I’m very interested to get it as a pet in our house.
The Bearded Collie is known as a herding dog. In the past, it was used by Scottish shepherds but today, it is popular for being a good companion for the family. As its name suggest, this dog has long double coat and is very energetic. Owners must ensure to maintain their regular grooming needs and play with them as well. The best source for this breed is from a reputable breeder or from a dog rescue center.
48. Can you enlighten me on the different types of hound dogs? I’d like to get to know them better before I choose one to give to my cousin.
The hound dog breed is a hunting canine. Originally, they helped hunters search for their prey using their exceptional speed and strong scent abilities. They come in different sizes from the tall and lanky Irish wolfhound to the dachshund known for its short legs and long body. There are also the scent hounds that include the foxhound, beagle and bloodhound. The sight hound is one of the oldest breed as well as the saluki and the pharaoh.
49. I’d like to give my kids a dog as a Christmas present. Can you suggest one not very commonly bought but is also good for children and can easily be trained?
The boxer, one of the most popular dog breeds in the U.S., can be a great gift. This is a mid-sized dog, originally a hunting breed, that gets along well with children and very trainable. It may not look adorable like the others but this one also makes for an effective guard dog. Boxers are also very affectionate and loyal to their families and will protect them from thieves. They will even defend other animals of the family when needed.
50. What do judges normally look for in a dog breed during dog shows? Do they have standard criteria for a particular breed? I’m preparing my pet for a dog show, that’s why I’m asking.
Dogs are not just compared to each other at dog shows. Judges look at certain standards for a particular breed that include body parts, behavior, gait and attributes. They normally check the different parts of the body from the head and teeth to the tail and legs. Bones and muscles are also examined using the hands. The American Kennel Club has set these standards and the dog that matches the criteria for his particular breed wins the competition.
51. Is the Pug closely related to the Bulldog? They seem to have a similar appearance but I may be mistaken. Hope you can clarify on this.
The pug may have a similarity to the bulldog owing to its wrinkled skin and square body but they’re not actually closely related. This dog breed originated in the Orient and was brought to Europe in the 16th century. A toy breed, the pug is a patient and good natured dog that can be a great family companion. It is also great with kids because of its tolerance. Be careful when feeding, though, as it is prone to becoming overweight.
52. What are the rarest dog breeds and what makes them rare? Are they still being bred today and in which countries? Sometimes, I have this urge to get a rare dog because it gives me a different high to have a canine not easily found anywhere.
The Chinook is the rarest of all. A descendant of the sled dog, this breed is on the decline right after its breed founder died in 1963. In 1981, only 11 of this type of house dog were found but thanks to a group of dog lovers, the breed has been restored. Stabyhoun is another rare dog today. This is a mix of the pointer and retriever. A gundog, the Staybihound breed is being monitored by the Dutch Dog Registry. In the U.S., there are only about 100 of this type of breed.
List of Dog Breeds by Group – UK Dog Breeds
Dog Breeds by Group